Wednesday, September 23, 2009

the problem and the Solution

Gen 15:1-2a
After this, the word of the Lord Came to Abram in a vision: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward." But Abram said, "O Sovereign Lord, what can you give me since I remain childless..."

This verse punch me in the face this morning. Not even a full-caffeine, pumpkin spiced, organic chai latte (mmmmm) could prepare me for that!

Did the man just ask God, "what can you give me?"

I'm offended. I'm offended for two reasons:

Firstly, I'm offended that Abram has the audacity to ask the Creator of everything, the Giver of all good things, the Father of life, Big Man himself, "what can you give me?" God just gave Abram a vision!!! God is trying to tell Abram that He is the "I am", and all Abram can think about is what he feels he is missing.

Secondly, I'm offended that this whole thing doesn't seem to bother God one little bit!!!! It's like God expects it. God takes Abram outside and says, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars - if indeed you can count them."

If I was a bible author I would have written this story like this:
God: I AM
Abram: no you're not
God: yes I AM
Abram: no you're not
God: yes I AM
Abram: hmm...ok, maybe you are.

I am imagining I read this today, because there is most likely a situation in my life that looks remarkably similar to this one. Am I focused on my problem, or resting expectantly in the arms of my Solution.

Lord, I want to trust You. I want to believe You are who You say You are. Please build my faith. Tear down my pride that gets between Us. Help me to see You as all I need. I don't want to live in what's missing...I want to know the abundance of trusting You. Lord, please speak to me about my life.

I am your portion. Do not look to be satisfied in other things. I will fill you up. When you are thirsty, let Me fill you with living water. When you are tired, I will be your strength. In your problems, be still and know that I am God.

Thank you, Jesus. I will choose to walk today with my eyes on You.

No comments:

Post a Comment