Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Running from miracles.

Today I decided to take the girls to McDonald's playland. While watching them play I was approached by a man who noticed my element church hoodie (how could he not...they're so sweet!) He asked me a lot of questions about the church and what we believe. From there, he talked about knowing that he was on "satan's short list" because he was not afraid to pursue the Holy Spirit. It reminded me of the promo video for Jeff's next sermon series, The Wild Goose Chase. You can check it out at:
http://www.elementinsider.com/
Between the video and my conversation with this man, I have been thinking a lot about the idea of living life in an intense pursuit of the Holy Spirit.
I often become content with my Sunday school Jesus, who always calms the storm and never rocks the boat.
Yesterday, in my quiet time I was reading about the Lord calling Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. So there Moses is, tending the flock, when he notices something strange....a bush is on fire. And even though the bush is on fire, it does not burn up. At this point, Moses doesn't know that he is in the presence of God...all he knows is that normally, when bushes are on fire, they burn up. So he goes in for a closer look. Then, out of the burning bush, God decides to speak and informs Moses, a man who stutters and has horrible stage fright, that he will be marching up to Pharoah and demanding that he let the Israelites go free. So now Moses is at a crossroad, he can ignore the call of God on his life and return to tending the flock, or he can drop everything and pursue the adventure that God has presented to him. The only problem is that Moses doesn't feel adequate...the mission is to scary...it's too dangerous...it isn't possible. I guess it must have slipped his mind that the God of the universe it speaking to him through a bush! It is easy to see the risk instead of the miracle. A couple verses later the Lord tells Moses to throw his staff to the ground. As soon as Moses does it the staff turns into a snake. What does moses do?...is he convinced that God can do anything?...nope...the man runs! Why?...because he sees a snake! Again, it is easier to see the risk than it is to see the miracle.
The story challenges me to look past the fears in my life that keep me from really pursuing God. I don't want to run from miracles...I want to pursue the One who makes all things possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment