Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Something for Nothing.

I spend a lot of time looking for ways to get what I want without paying for it. I clip coupons on occasion, I love sales, and who can resist the old bogo...buy one, get one free! I don't have any problem paying less for something than it's value.

And it's not just things... I step on the scale after having a gym membership for one week and I am disgusted that I have not lost a single pound! I finally decide to spend a minute with God and I can't figure out why I can't hear Him.

I put so much value on the return but very little value on the sacrifice.

In 2Sam, David goes to a man named Araunah to buy some land to build an altar. Araunah is eager to help and offers the king the land, threshing sledges, ox yokes and oxen all at no cost. I love David's response, "No, I insist on paying for it. I will not sacrifice to the LORD my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing."

David knew it wasn't just about the offering, but about the sacrifice. God deserves nothing less than full price.

God was please with David, and Israel was spared.

Don't be afraid to make sacrifices. We can't out give God, and we will never be disappointed in the return.

No comments:

Post a Comment