Monday, January 26, 2009

Where are we going?

Last week, out of nowhere, Curtis asked me how I would feel about starting a college ministry in Laramie, WY. For those of you who don't know, we are a military family...we will be here for no more than a couple of years and then be sent on. Maybe that helps you imagine what was going through my head. Like a good wife, I responded something along these lines, "Sure, sounds good. Let's pray about that!" What I was really saying was, "Ok, let's stop talking nonsense...I'll let God work this craziness out of you." 
Although short, the conversation stirred a lot of emotion in my spirit. Why does God plant these dreams and desires that don't seem to make sense. One minute we feel lead in one direction and the next somewhere completely different. Maybe it is just our human nature to be discontent with where we are. Maybe it is our deep desire to walk blindly in complete chaos with only the comfort of our Creator to sustain us. 
A couple days after my conversation with Curtis I was reading about Abram. "The Lord had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you." Gen 12:1. The part that really gets me is that Abram just did it!!! What the heck? Who does that?
I think my response would be something like this, "Sure God, I love You and I am willing to do whatever You ask of me...I'm just going to need a few details before we get started; How's the housing market?...schools?...what kind of neighborhood are we talking?...will I need to get a large breed dog?...how shall I start preparing for our new ministry?...when I leave this tent, what exact direction shall I begin walking?"
I guess maybe I don't truly believe that God will work out the details, because that's my job and I'm really good at it.
So how did Abram do it? How did he relinquish all common sense and just choose to follow blindly? I have no idea! 
Lord, work in me a faith like Abram's, so that I can walk in faith without having to know the details.

1 comment: